I would like to inform you of an important safety and liability issue both for the school and you, our Brahma parents.
We have had constant issues with students intentionally activating our fire alarm pull stations as a prank to disrupt class. Although we have done our best to supervise the pull station areas, with 3,000+ students, it is difficult to identify the culprits.
This prank is a problem for us for many reasons:
- Students and/or teachers could become desensitized to the alarms and potentially not act in the case of a real emergency.
- Making use of the city resources firefighting/EMT services by falsely drawing them to the campus could leave our community short of life-saving emergency services in the event of a genuine emergency situation.
- Parents of pranksters could be legally liable for any damages, injuries, or deaths associated with emergency services responding to a prank. In addition to the liability, I would hate to think of the lifelong guilt associated with any such accident.
- Reporting a false emergency is a misdemeanor and the authorities will be contacted each time a prankster is identified.
- It disrupts the school day and wastes our valuable instructional time.
In short, these pranks are dangerous and a huge disruption of the entire school campus. Please take the time to help your son or daughter understand the full potential impact of this act both on your family and the school.
Diamond Bar High School