SENIOR BULLETIN #8
Scholarship and College Information
· The deadline to submit your SIR (Statement of Intent to Register) is rapidly approaching. For the UC’s, it’s May 1st, 2012. If you fail to submit your SIR on time, you have missed the boat and “your provisionary admission is cancelled.”
· Waiting lists are exactly what they sound like – a list for people who have to wait. They are certainly NOT a promise that you’ll eventually get into that school. Do not make the mistake of failing to submit a SIR to a school that accepted you because you are falsely banking on the belief that you’ll be pulled off a waiting list for another school. The best plan is to submit a SIR to the school you would go to if you were not pulled off a waiting list. You’ll have to lose your deposit if you’re later pulled off the waiting list for a school you’d prefer, but hopefully your excitement at being called up will soften the financial blow.
· Make a decision that is right for you. Remember, you’re picking more than just a name on a sweatshirt – you’re choosing where you’ll be living and learning for the next four years or so. If you haven’t done so already, take a weekend to go and visit the schools you’re considering and try to get a final feel for the school that’s best for you. While there certainly isn’t only one right choice for you, you want to make this a well thought-out decision.
· Diamond Bar Black Women’s Association – Students can win a $500 book scholarship. To be eligible, the applicant must be an African-American graduating from a local high school with at least a 2.5 GPA and plans to attend an institution of higher learning. Pick up an application in Mr. Desmond’s office. Application packages including letters of recommendation must be postmarked no later than April 28,2012 to be received by May 1, 2012.
· Brahma Boosters Scholarship – This scholarship is open to any senior student of any booster who has fulfilled their booster commitment. Pick up an application in Mr. Desmond’s office. Your completed application along with a copy of your academic transcript must be given to Mr. Desmond no later than Wednesday, April 25, 2012, no exceptions.
· Girls’ League of DBHS Scholarship – The Girls’ League awards three $500 scholarships and five $100 scholarships. Since Girl’s League is a service-based organization, community involvement is a primary factor in deciding who receives awards. Pick up an application in Mr. Desmond’s office or in Ms. Pacheco’s room (261). Application packages must be submitted to Ms. Pacheco by Friday, May 4th, 2012.
· The Denis Paul Scholarship – This scholarship was established in 2010 in honor of DBHS’ principal from 1998-2010. The $1000 award is open to any senior who has been a student at DBHS for all four years and exemplifies the principles of community service and academic achievement. Pick up an application in Mr. Desmond’s office. Completed applications along with a copy of your transcript must be submitted to Mr. Desmond by Friday, May 4th, 2012.
· The Berkeley Student Foundation Diversity Scholarship – If you will be attending UC Berkeley next year and you are “considered an underrepresented minority,” you qualify for this scholarship. This is a renewable award of $1000 for each year of attendance at UC Berkeley. The foundation considers financial need, community service, academic achievement, personal history, and leadership. Applications can be picked up in Mr. Desmond’s office or found online at http://www.bsf.moonfruit.com/ and the postmark deadline is May 1st, 2012.
· Seiji Isomoto Scholarship – This is for graduating seniors of Asian-American descent who have demonstrated excellence in academics and athletics throughout their high school career. $1000 will go to one male and one female recipient. Applicants must have at least one Asian parent, a minimum GPA of 3.0 in academic classes, and a varsity letter for a high school sport. Pick up an application in Mr. Desmond’s office. Application packages must be postmarked by Saturday, May 5th, 2012.
· Schools First Scholarship – Schools First Credit Union will award two $250 scholarships to DBHS seniors. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA, and community service, extracurricular involvement, academic achievement, and leadership are all positive factors that could help you earn one of these scholarships. To apply, submit your Senior Profile to Mr. Desmond by Friday, May 4th, 2012 – 3:00.
· Northrop Grumman NextGen Engineers Scholarship – Five graduating seniors will receive $2500 each year of a four-year university program beginning this fall, for a total scholarship of $10,000! Applicants must be a resident of Los Angeles County, plan to attend a university in an approved engineering program (e.g., Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science), and have a minimum composite SAT score of 1900 (700 math, 600 reading, 600 writing) or a composite score of 28 on the ACT (with math and science scores of 30 or better). Applications available at http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/nextgenscholarship/. Applications must be postmarked by April 27th, 2012.