GLC NEWS AND NOTES ISSUE #4
September 13 , 2016
Class of 2017 Students and Parents,
Here are a few items of interest for you to review as well as dates of upcoming events-Please place these dates in your calendar. ITEM #6 IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR STUDENTS WHO WILL NEED A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM THEIR GLC FOR ADMISSION PURPOSES!! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
- Financial Aid Workshop-Thursday, September 15, 2016 DBHS Theater 6:30 pm.
A local university’s Financial Aid counselor will be the presenter for this workshop. You will learn about how to apply for Financial Aid via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Great information will be presented. (See notes below in #4 for an additional Financial Aid Opportunity).
- WVUSD College Night-Monday, September 19, 2016-7:00 pm DBHS Gymnasium
Over 50 universities and college programs will be represented at this year’s WVUSD College Night. This is an opportunity for our seniors to visit with representatives from various universities as our students finalize their list of colleges to which they will apply.
3.Cal State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) Admission Applications Workshops
Wednesday, September 21, 2016. Please arrive by 6:15 pm. Students/Parents may choose to attend one or both of these workshops. Each workshop will be repeated so you can attend both in the same evening. This year’s format:
6:15 pm-Program begins
6:25-7:25 pm: UC Application Workshop in the DBHS Theater
6:25-7:25 pm: CSU Application Workshop in the DBHS Golden Horseshoe (Downstairs-Building 500)
7:25-7:35 pm: Transition to second Workshop
7:35-8:35 pm: UC Application Workshop in the DBHS Theater
7:35-8:35 pm: CSU Application Workshop in the DBHS Golden Horseshoe (Downstairs-Building 500)
Attendees should be prepared to take notes. If the student has started their UC Application, bring your “in progress” application to the UC workshop.
- Financial Aid-In addition to the Financial Aid Workshop we will hold on campus on Thursday, September 15, we suggest you register to attend a CASH FOR COLLGE WORKSHOP sponsored by the California Student Aid Commission. Check out the website below. These are hands-on workshops to assist families in completing the FAFSA. Very positive feedback in past years on these workshops. These workshops are much more hands on than our Financial Aid Workshop at DBHS. Attending both will ensure you are well prepared to complete the FAFSA for your son or daughter. You must register online for the workshop.
There is no fee, no charge, if you simply want your senior to have his/her picture in the DBHS yearbook this year. Marc Saunders, our school photographer, will take your picture and provide your “untouched” picture to the DBHS staff for inclusion in our yearbook. If you wish to purchase pictures, you may certainly do so also.
If your senior has not set an appointment with the school photographer, please encourage them to do so. Here is the contact information for our photographer. Deadline to be included in the yearbook is approaching so DON’T DELAY!
MARCSHOT THIS PHOTOGRAPHY
20812 Carrey Road
Walnut, CA 91789
- October 3, 2016-Due Date for Seniors to provide Mr. Patterson and Mrs. Duenas their Letter of Recommendation Requests Envelope. If seniors have this prepared before October 3rd, please submit in person to their GLC as soon as the information is ready!
REMINDER: University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) campuses DO NOT REQUIRE A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION OR ANY DOCUMENTS PROVIDED BY YOUR GLC. Both the UC and CSU application can be completed and submitted without any documents from your GLC. STUDENTS SHOULD NOT PLACE ANY UC OR CSU CAMPUS ON THEIR COVER PAGE OF THEIR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ENVELOPE PROVIDED TO THEIR GLC BY OCTOBER 3RD.
The cover page on the brown envelope has been updated to clarify this information for all students. The only universities which should be listed on your COVER PAGE on your brown envelope are universities which need documents submitted by your GLC. These documents may include a Secondary School Report and an academic transcript.
Most Universities listed on your COVER PAGE will be universities which are part of the COMMON APPLICATION process.
If you do apply to a university which requires documents to be submitted by your GLC and the university is NOT PART OF THE COMMON APPLICATION process, please place them on the COVER PAGE of the brown envelope and in the appropriate column indicate No for Common Application. For these schools you will need to do one of the following:
- Provide in the brown envelope the paper copy of the documents your GLC needs to complete for the Non-Common Application school. In addition, provide a smaller regular white envelope with two stamps already applied on the envelope and address the envelope to be mailed to the address of the university. Leave the return address in the upper left corner blank.
- If the Non-Common Application school does not have paper copies of the documents, please provide us with the electronic link/address which your GLC can use to access the required documents. Your GLC will electronically submit any required documents.
- So Cal College Fair-Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:00-8:00 pm Sheraton Fairplex Hotel
Explore Careers, Colleges, Universities, Tech & Trade Schools All in One Location!
The So Cal College & Career Fair is a FREE community event held at the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel for students and families to meet with colleges and career representatives. Don't miss out on an opportunity to attend seminars on:
· Community College Applications
· SAT vs ACT Essentials
· College Application Essay Advice
· Financial Aid information
- Sheraton Fairplex Hotel - 601 W. McKinley Ave, Pomona, California 91768
Kevin Patterson Stephanie Duenas Julie Salas
Grade Level Coordinators-Class of 2017