SENIOR GLC NEWS AND NOTES ISSUE #5
September 20 , 2016
Class of 2017 Students and Parents,
Here are a few items of interest for you to review as well as dates of upcoming events-Please place these dates in your calendar. ITEMS #5 & #6 ARE VERY IMPORTANT FOR STUDENTS WHO WILL NEED A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM THEIR GLC FOR ADMISSION PURPOSES!! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
1. Cal State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) Admission Applications Workshops
Wednesday, September 21, 2016. Please arrive by 6:15 pm. Students/Parents may choose to attend one or both of these workshops. Each workshop will be repeated so you can attend both the UC and CSU workshop in the same evening. We will be directing students and parents to a particular workshop so we have fairly even numbers in each workshop each hour. This year’s format:
6:15 pm-Program begins-Opening Comments-PLEASE BE PROMPT!
6:25-7:25 pm: UC Application Workshop in the DBHS Theater
6:25-7:25 pm: CSU Application Workshop in the DBHS Golden Horseshoe (Downstairs-Building 500)
7:25-7:35 pm: Transition to second Workshop
7:35-8:35 pm: UC Application Workshop in the DBHS Theater
7:35-8:35 pm: CSU Application Workshop in the DBHS Golden Horseshoe (Downstairs-Building 500)
Attendees should be prepared to take notes. If the student has started their UC Application, bring your “in progress” application to the UC workshop.
2. Financial Aid-FAFSA-October 1 is the first date you can submit your FAFSAwww.fafsa.ed.gov.
3. Financial Aid-CSS PROFILE-Provided by Collegboard-Required by many private universities. Students should research and verify if any of the schools being applied to require the CSS Profile Application. Available October 1st.
4. Senior Portraits:
There is no fee, no charge, if you simply want your senior to have his/her picture in the DBHS yearbook this year. Marc Saunders, our school photographer, will take your picture and provide your “untouched” picture to the DBHS staff for inclusion in our yearbook. If you wish to purchase pictures, you may certainly do so also.
If your senior has not set an appointment with the school photographer, please encourage them to do so. Here is the contact information for our photographer. Deadline to be included in the yearbook is approaching so DON’T DELAY!
MARCSHOT THIS PHOTOGRAPHY
20812 Carrey Road
Walnut, CA 91789
5. October 3, 2016-Due Date for Seniors to provide Mr. Patterson and Mrs. Duenas their Letter of Recommendation Requests Envelope. If seniors have this prepared before October 3rd, please submit in person to their GLC as soon as the information is ready! Students must invite their GLC via Common Application prior to presenting the “brown” envelope to their GLC (More information below in #6)
REMINDER: University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) campuses DO NOT REQUIRE A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION OR ANY DOCUMENTS PROVIDED BY YOUR GLC. Both the UC and CSU application can be completed and submitted without any documents from your GLC. STUDENTS SHOULD NOT PLACE ANY UC OR CSU CAMPUS ON THEIR SENIOR PROFILE COVER PAGE OF THEIR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ENVELOPE PROVIDED TO THEIR GLC BY OCTOBER 3RD.
The cover page on the brown envelope has been updated to clarify this information for all students. The only universities which should be listed on your SENIOR PROFILE COVER PAGE on your brown envelope are universities which need documents submitted by your GLC. These documents may include a Secondary School Report and an academic transcript.
Most Universities listed on your SENIOR PROFILE COVER PAGE will be universities which are part of the COMMON APPLICATION process.
If you do apply to a university which requires documents to be submitted by your GLC and the university is NOT PART OF THE COMMON APPLICATION process, please place them on the COVER PAGE of the brown envelope and in the appropriate column indicate No for Common Application. For these schools you will need to do one of the following:
1. Provide in the brown envelope the paper copy of the documents your GLC needs to complete for the Non-Common Application school. In addition, provide a smaller regular white envelope with two stamps already applied on the envelope and address the envelope to be mailed to the address of the university. Leave the return address in the upper left corner blank.
2. If the Non-Common Application school does not have paper copies of the documents, please provide us with the electronic link/address which your GLC can use to access the required documents. Your GLC will electronically submit any required documents.
6. IMPORTANT: Students who are requesting a Letter of Recommendation from their GLC and submitting their brown envelope should do so AFTER INVITING THEIR GLC on the Common Application. Your GLC will not accept your brown envelope if you have not already invited them via your Common Application. Your GLC receives this invitation via email from the Common Application program as soon as you invite us.
7. So Cal College Fair-Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:00-8:00 pm Sheraton Fairplex Hotel
Explore Careers, Colleges, Universities, Tech & Trade Schools All in One Location!
The So Cal College & Career Fair is a FREE community event held at the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel for students and families to meet with colleges and career representatives. Don't miss out on an opportunity to attend seminars on:
· Community College Applications
· SAT vs ACT Essentials
· College Application Essay Advice
· Financial Aid information
· Sheraton Fairplex Hotel - 601 W. McKinley Ave, Pomona, California 91768
8. Students considering applying to the University of Southern California (USC) please read….USC has two deadlines for applications. The first deadline is December 1, 2016 and this deadline is for admission consideration and for scholarship (financial assistance) consideration. USC also has a January deadline (which is listed on Common Application) however, this deadline will not give the student any consideration for scholarship/financial assistance. We suggest you use the December deadline!
9. College Application Process-Class of 2017-DBHS
Applying to a Cal State University (CSU) and/or a University of California (UC):
CSU’s and UC’s do not require Letters Of Recommendation or Secondary School Reports. When you apply to a CSU or UC, you will “self-report” your grades on the application using your high school transcript. You will NOT submit a transcript to a CSU or UC unless an individual campus specifically requests you send a transcript! We will supply each student in the Class of 2017 with an unofficial copy of your academic transcript at your GLC appointment this summer.
For students applying to the CSU for Fall 2017, the application window for Cal State Universities opens on October 1st and will close on November 30, 2016. This means you are able to create an account, complete your application and submit to the Cal State Universities starting October 1, 2016.
CSU Application Submission Period: October 1-November 30, 2016
The California State University is the largest system of higher education in the nation. There are many campuses throughout the state. Students are encouraged to visit the CSU website: www.csumentor.edu where they may open their own account, obtain information regarding all aspects of the CSU system, use the Freshman Student Planner, and use the website to apply online.
The University of California has several campuses throughout the state. Students are encouraged to visit the University of California website www,universityofcalifornia.edu to obtain information regarding all aspects of the UC system. The website students will use (UC Application) to apply to the Fall 2017 term is
UC Application Period Opened on August 1, 2016: You may create your account and begin working on your UC application at this time.
UC Application Submission Dates are November 1-30, 2016: You may complete and SUBMIT your UC application during this time period.
Kevin Patterson Stephanie Duenas Julie Salas
Grade Level Coordinators-Class of 2017