DIAMOND BAR HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK 6 – September 16 – 20
Hello Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week Six.
This week, I would like to give a special “shout out” to DBHS senior, Tom Murickan, for his leadership in medical science and artificial intelligence! Tom founded AI-Med Club (Advisor, Science teacher Mrs.Diana Wai), a student club focused on artificial intelligence and medicine. Click on the link below to listen to Tom discuss his ideas! (The time codes where he speaks are 22:20 - 28:30 and 33:30 - 36:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVINcTPWU4
Important Updates from our GLCs and the Guidance Office
- Our first 6-Week Grading Period ends this Friday, September 20. Updated “progress” grades should be accessible on Wednesday, September 25 via Aeries Student and Parent Portal. Grades for the 6-Week grading period are not mailed home.
- Reminder, we will host a Financial Aid Workshop for the Senior Class on Tuesday, September 17, 6:00 pm in the Theater. The presentation will be provided by financial aid specialist from Mt. SAC. Parents and students are encouraged to attend and ask questions. Please remember – FAFSA opens on October 1.
- CSU & UC Application Workshop next week. September 25, 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm.
- In an effort to keep our DBHS parents educated and informed about current safety issues on California campuses, we’ve provided a Parent Advisory with information and images of e-cigarettes, vapes, and edible marijuana. Please CLICK HERE to read the Parent Advisory.
- Attention Seniors, click HERE for our Senior Bulletin. Special Thanks to Grade Level Coordinator (GLC) Dave Desmond for providing such timely and relevant information!
- Military Service Academy Night is presented by the office of Representative Gil Cisneros on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at Troy High School in Fullerton from 6:00-8:00 pm. This is a great opportunity to learn about the U.S.A. military academies and their highly selective admissions process. Looking ahead, all materials for those requesting a nomination are due to Representative Cisneros by Friday, October 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm. If you have questions, contact Stephanie Wade email@example.com.
Week 6: Activities & Updates
- PSAT/NMSQT – If you have already signed up for the official PSAT/NMSQT happening on our campus on Saturday, October 19, please come by the Guidance Office to pick up a College Board Student Guide. The Student Guide contains important information to help you prepare for the PSAT/NMSQT. Juniors taking this test are entered into the 2021 National Merit Scholarship Program. If you are a JUNIOR (c/o 2021) and have not yet registered for this exam you may still do so by paying the $ 27.00 fee in the Finance Office (Front Office) by Friday, 9/13/19.
- Saturday, September 28: SAVE THE DATE! We are excited to offer our third annual WVUSD Parent Symposium! For more information, Click Here to Register
- When: Saturday, September 28, 2019
- Time: 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Location: Walnut High School
COLLEGE & CAREER VISITS
- Monday, September 16: A representative from UCLA will be in the LINC @ lunch.
- Tuesday, September 17: A representative from UC San Diego will be outside the Career Center @ lunch.
- Wednesday, September 18: A representative from Santa Clara University will be in the Career Center @ lunch.
- Thursday, September 19: A representative from University of the Chicago will be in the Career Center @ lunch.
- Friday, September 20: Oregon Tech will be on campus @ lunch outside the Career Center.
Click HERE for our Weekly Athletics Update provided by Athletic Director, Albert Lim.
- Is your son or daughter interested in competing in NCAA Athletics in college? Click on the link below if you want to play college sports.
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
Reuben A. Jones, Ed.D
Diamond Bar High School