DIAMOND BAR HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK 7 – September 23 – 27
Hello Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week Seven.
Our theme this school year is “Only the BEST!” We want only the best instruction, activities, and learning experiences for our students. Fitting with this year’s theme, I am pleased to celebrate one of the best teachers in Los Angeles County! Our DBHS Choir Director, Rich Langham was honored as one of the top 25 teachers in all Los Angeles County (Click HERE for more info)! Mr. Langham was selected as Chaparral Teacher of the Year in 2019, and then chosen as Walnut Valley Unified School District Teacher of the Year before being recognized by the LA County Office of Education on the top 25 list. Congratulations to Mr. Langham!
In addition, I am excited to announce that Mr. Matt Brummett was approved by our Board of Trustees on Wednesday, September 18 as our new Assistant Principal (Click HERE for more)! Mr. Brummett came to Diamond Bar High in 2010 as a Social Science Teacher and Head Soccer Coach. After five years of teaching and coaching at DBHS, he was promoted to Instructional Dean. In 2018, Mr. Brummett promoted to Assistant Principal at Suzanne Middle School. In 2019, he was appointed Interim-Assistant Principal at DBHS. During his time as an administrator, he has also served as Assistant Principal of Summer School, Principal of Summer School, and served in dozens of influential leadership capacities throughout our school and our district. Welcome home Mr. Brummett!
Finally, DBHS graduate Jason Wright (Class of 2000) was featured last week on CNBC! During his enrollment at Diamond Bar, Jason was a standout student, outstanding football player and track & field athlete, as well as an all-around amazing person. After graduation, Jason earned his BA degree from Northwestern, his graduate degree from Chicago University, and played Pro-Football for San Francisco Forty-Niners, Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, and Arizona Cardinals. He is now a partner at the management consulting firm, McKinsey. Jason has co-authored a new study that looks at African-American economic conditions and is doing vital work to help our country! Click HERE to watch Jason’s interview on CNBC.
Important Updates from our GLCs and the Guidance Office
- CSU & UC Application Workshop: September 25, 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm. The UC representative will be in the Theatre and have their 1st session at 6:00 pm and 2nd session at 7:30 pm. The Cal State representative will be in the Golden Horseshoe and have their 1st session at 6:00pm and 2nd session at 7:30 pm.
- Private Universities: The deadline to request a Letter of Recommendation from your GLC is September 26 by 3pm. You MUST HAND DELIVER the hard copy to your GLC directly! Please see the Senior Profile pdf. located at the bottom of our Class of 2020 homepage. Click HERE to visit our Class of 2020 Homepage.
- Please note you DO NOT need a letter of recommendation if applying to a Cal State University or to the University of California schools. Please see your GLC with any questions.
- Attention Seniors, click HERE for our Senior Bulletin. Special Thanks to Grade Level Coordinator (GLC) Dave Desmond for providing such timely and relevant information!
Week 7: Activities & Updates
- AP Exam Fee collection: This week we begin collecting AP Exam fees. Please click HERE for more information. Deadline to pay for your AP exams is Friday, October 4.
- Saturday, September 28: SAVE THE DATE! We are excited to offer our third annual WVUSD Parent Symposium! For more information, Click Here to Register
- When: Saturday, September 28, 2019
- Time: 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Location: Walnut High School
COLLEGE & CAREER VISITS
- Wednesday, September 25: A representative from Blair School of Music, Vanderbilt University, Drexel University, and Swarthmore College will be in the Career Center @ lunch.
- Thursday, September 26: A representative from University of the Washington will be in the Career Center @ lunch.
Click HERE for our Weekly Athletics Update provided by Athletic Director, Albert Lim.
- Frosh-Soph Girls Basketball Tryouts…If you are interested in playing on this year’s Frosh-Soph Girls basketball team see Coach Tony McCabe in room 656 and sign up. Also, go on to www.Athleticclearance.com to get your athletic clearance to tryout. Check the DBHS Athletics website (Click HERE) for JV practices.
- Is your son or daughter interested in competing in NCAA Athletics in college? Click on the link below if you want to play college sports.
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
In last week’s memo, information about DBHS senior Tom Murickan was listed incorrectly. He was listed as a junior and his name was misspelled. I apologize for the errors. Tom is a senior and started the AI-Med club (Click HERE for more info) when he was a junior.
Reuben A. Jones, Ed.D
Diamond Bar High School