DIAMOND BAR HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK 9 – October 7 – October 11
Hello Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week Nine.
This week I would like to highlight our Brahma Drama Department. Did you know Diamond Bar High School has 20 active thespians? The International Thespian Society is the Honors Society for high school theatre students. A thespian student devotes many hours to the Performing Arts through performance, production, and participation such as working shows in areas of directing, ushering, working as sound and lighting technicians, choreographing and writing, to name a few. Membership is granted for the performance of meritorious work for the Performing Arts.
Congratulations to our DBHS Thespian students: Ashley Barela, Caleb Chen, Nadia Colon*, Stella Craine, Amanda Esparza, Camille Jackson**, Kayla Lam*, Rebecca Leung, Mikayla Nance, Aracelli Palmer, Tricia Parker, Allison Santogrossi**, Jillian Scurlock*, Amber Sharma, Diego Tamayo*, Grace Thomas*, Katherine (Kt) Wirth**, Ashlyn Woo, Jolynn Zhang*, and Michelle Zhou.
*Honor Thespian = 600 hours
**National Honor Thespian = 1200 hours
***International Honor Thespian = 1800 hours
Important Updates from our GLCs and the Guidance Office
- Senior Bulletin Click HERE!
- Halloween is approaching, and as always, we will allow students to show their Halloween spirit, but there are some guidelines we must follow to ensure student safety:
- Students are prohibited from wearing masks
- Make-up or face painting should be minimal. Staff needs to still be able to EASILY identify a student wearing make-up or face painting. If your face is fully painted, you will be required to wash your face before attending classes.
- Weapons, or replica weapons are not allowed
- Costumes need to adhere to the school dress code and should not disrupt the instructional program during school hours. If you have ANY questions regarding your costume, please see your GLC before Halloween for guidance or approval. Thank you for your cooperation Brahmas. We look forward to a fun and safe Halloween on campus.
Week 9: Activities & Updates
- Homecoming Football Game – *Updated start time. Kickoff is 7:00 pm. Friday, October 11, 2019 Brahmas vs. Chino @ 7:00 pm.
- TEDx Talks are Back! The Wellness Center is sponsoring the 3rd annual TEDx Talk Event featuring specially selected DBHS speakers who will share their passion and inspirational talks with their peers in November. If you are interested in auditioning for this unique opportunity, stop by the Wellness Center, Room #254, to pick up the information needed and sign up for an audition. Auditions begin Monday, October 14 through October 16 after school. See Wellness Center Coordinator Sandy Davis if you have questions!
- Click HERE for our Weekly Athletics Update provided by Athletic Director, Albert Lim.
COLLEGE & CAREER VISITS
- Monday, October 7 – Point Loma Nazarene University will be on campus @ lunch in the Career Center.
- Tuesday, October 8 – University of Richmond will be on campus @ lunch in the Career Center.
- Wednesday, October 9 – Pepperdine University will be on campus @ lunch in the Career Center.
- Thursday, October 10 – Dartmouth College and Rice University will be on campus @ lunch in the Career Center.
- Friday, October 11 – Northwestern University will be on campus @ lunch in the Career Center.
We are seeking your help to “Tell a Friend” about the opportunities to attend Walnut Valley Unified for the 2020/2021 school year. Walnut Valley will be hosting enrollment information meetings beginning this month to share information with prospective parents on how to enroll based on District of Choice, Inter-district Transfers, Allen Bill, or Caregiver applications. Please share the attached flyer with the upcoming dates and locations of our meetings to any family interested in attending Walnut Valley. Current families enrolled in Walnut Valley do not need to attend these meetings.
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
The LAPD is hiring. Annual salary range: $67,546 – $104,024.
There are two written exams to join the LAPD which will be hosted at Diamond Bar High School on November 4 and December 2 @ 6pm. For more information, contact LAPD Recruiter, DBHS Parent and KAPA President, Officer Jinha Kim Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 20 Years of Age
- US high school diploma or equivalent, G.E.D., CHSPE
- US citizen or have applied for citizenship
- Excellent health and physical condition
- Background suitable for employment as a Police Officer
You will be required to write essays in response to questions in regarding your personal qualifications for Police Officer. There are no right or wrong answers. Each candidate’s response will be unique, based on his/her life experiences.
Have a great week!
Reuben A. Jones, Ed.D
Diamond Bar High School