DIAMOND BAR HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK 24: February 10 - 14
Good Evening Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week 24.
The month of February is a special time of year for many reasons. In my view, two reasons February is important are because of National School Counseling Week and Black History Month.
Last week we celebrated our Grade Level Coordinators (our esteemed counselors) and Intervention Counselor during National School Counseling Week. Click HERE for more details about this national recognition. Our GLCs and Intervention Counselor are simply incredible. Their holistic approach to helping our students includes social, emotional, and academic support. Their relationships and connection with students are remarkable and we are truly grateful for their leadership, supervision, and connection on campus.
Thanks to our GLCs and Intervention Counselor:
Freshman Class of 2023 – Mrs. Burns & Mr. Gonzales
Sophomore Class of 2022 – Mrs. Brummett and Mr. Desmond
Junior Class of 2021 – Mrs. Duenas & Mr. Patterson
Senior Class of 2020 – Ms. Auten & Mr. Natividad
Pathways Academy Grades (10 – 12) – Mrs. Salas
Intervention Counselor (Grades 9 – 12) – Mrs. Osajima-Baird
Click HERE to see our counseling team!
Also, this month is Black History Month. Through our partnership with the Council of African American Parents (Click HERE for information about CAAP) we are excited to welcome Mr. Hardy Brown II to campus on Thursday, February 20, 2020 (more details to come). Mr. Brown’s presentation will enhance our cultural awareness and historical understanding of American slavery. As the Chairman of the Black Voice Foundation (Click HERE for more information), Mr. Brown leads conversations on empathy and history where learners gain knowledge and power of Freedom Movements. As a collector of historical artifacts, Brown is the curator and storyteller of The Gore Collection, a major collection of rare documents helping people to understand and explore the institution of slavery through civil rights in America. Special thanks to retired WVUSD Principal Dr. Donna Hunter, and our CAAP Co-President Mrs. Donna Houston for helping coordinate his visit!
Important Updates from our GLCs and the Guidance Office
Our Guidance Office provides valuable resources with comprehensive tools, academic resources, and college guidance for students. Check out our recent publications below!
- Interested in attending Summer School 2020?... Please clickHERE for important Summer School Information
- Current 9th grade students will be working with their GLCs this week on a Career Unit.
- The Pathways Communications Academy is now accepting freshmen applications for the 2020-2021 school year. Celebrating its 23rd year, the Academy is a small learning community offering college approved courses and unique educational opportunities.
- Please join the Academy staff on Thursday, February 13 for their Annual Freshmen Parent Informational. The informational will be held in room 312, located in the lower 300 building, at 6:00 p.m.
- Applications are available on our website at dbhs.org.
- Senior Bulletin Click HERE.
- Class of 2021 (Juniors) News & Notes Click HERE.
Week 24: Activities & Updates
Brahma Athletic Highlights:
Congratulations to our Winter Sports teams for a very competitive season. Special recognition to our Boys Basketball, Girls Soccer, Wrestling, and Girls Water Polo teams for qualifying for CIF Playoffs!
*CIF 1st Round Playoffs begin this week:
- Tuesday, 2/11 - Girls Water Polo, 5:00pm @ Home vs Upland HS
- Wednesday, 2/12 - Boys Basketball, 7:00pm Away vs Crean Lutheran HS, Irvine, CA
- Thursday, 2/13 - Girls Soccer, 5:00pm @ Home vs Eastside HS
- Friday, 2/14 - Wrestling CIF Individuals @ Carter HS
- Click HERE for our Weekly Athletics Update, provided by Athletic Director, Mr. Albert Lim.
- BASEBALL Golf Tournament: This Monday, February 17 is our 4th Annual Baseball Golf Tournament! Click HERE for more information. Please come out and support our Brahma Baseball team in this great fundraiser!
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
On Friday, March 20, 2020 @ 6pm our South Asian Parent Association (SAPA) will be hosting the 7th Annual “Evening of Colors.” This event is a celebration of culture, friendship, and food that you don’t want to miss! Click HERE for more information. Also, attached to this memo is the flyer with more details. See you there!
Reuben A. Jones, Ed.D
Diamond Bar High School