DIAMOND BAR HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK 27: March 2 – 6, 2020
Good Evening Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week 27.
Each week our students are involved in a variety of events ranging from humanitarian causes to competing in academic contests. A few examples from this weekend include our Robotics team and our Journalism & Yearbook students.
First, Team Sprocket’s fundraiser for students in Yimbo helped raise awareness of student needs in Kenya. The “Sprocket Walk-It for Yimbo 13K Walk” on Saturday, February 29 at the DBHS track was a wonderful event! Our students chose a 13K because students in the Mugana Village walk 13K to and from school. Our amazing students walked 32 laps around the track (13K) to raise awareness and financial support for students in Yimbo. Thank you for those who supported the cause! If you did not support and would like to, please feel free to click on the link below to donate:
More information about Friends of Yimbo can be found HERE. Thank you again for your generosity!
Second, I am excited to recognize our Journalism and Yearbookstudents for their efforts at the Eastern LA-Journalism Education Association Regional Write-offs. The write-offs were held on Saturday, February 29 at Citrus College. According to our Journalism teacher, Mr. Doug List, the “group of student-writers won the Novice News Sweepstakes and finished second in Newspaper Sweepstakes, and almost every student who went finished in the Top 10 of their event.”
Congratulations to the following students:
- Renee Elefante (Senior) – 1st Place in News Writing
- Anika Yatawara (Sophomore) – 1st Place in Novice News
- Somiya Jajieh (Sophomore) – 4th Place in Novice News
- Connor Cho (Junior) – 9th Place in Novice News
- Alex Chun (Senior) – 10th Place in Novice News
- Vera Wang (Sophomore) – 11th Place in Novice News
- Nia Mitchell (Senior) – 9th Place in Critical Review Writing
- Grace Lee (Senior) – 2nd Place in Feature Writing
- Kate Zheng (Senior) – 6th Place in Feature Writing
- Camille McCurry (Junior) – 4th Place in Editorial Writing
- Reyna Wan (Sophomore) - 7th Place in Editorial Writing
- Johnny Wang (Senior) – 6th Place in Sports Writing
- Ryan Lam (Senior) – 8th Place in Sports Writing
- Josh Chou (Junior) – 6th Place in Newspaper Layout
- Kelsey Wu (Freshman) – 3rd Place in Photo
- Tiffany Lee (Junior) – 5th Place in Photo
- Abigail Hong (Sophomore) – 6th Place in Photo
- Victoria Artale (Junior) – 8th Place in Photo
- Shiva Dang, Fiona Huang, Grace Xiao and Cindy Chenfinished 5th in Yearbook Layout Design and 2nd in Yearbook Copy Writing
- Ethan Chavarin, Angela Medina, Aileen Park and Stephanie Pan finished 9th in Yearbook Layout Design and 6th in Yearbook Copy Writing
We are proud of your hard work and dedication! Go Brahmas!
Important Updates from our GLCs & the Guidance Office
- Last week, GLCs visited English classes and students will have one more week to prepare their course requests before forms are collected.
- Summer School 2020 Information…Click HERE.
- The GLC Quarterly is posted… click HERE to access this important resource from our Assistant Principal, Matthew Brummett.
- Senior Bulletin Click HERE.
- Class of 2021 (Juniors) News & Notes Click HERE.
Week 27: Activities & Updates
- This Thursday, March 5 is Open House & 8th Grade Parent Night! The event starts in the Gym for 8th Grade Parents with the 8th Grade Parent Night from 6:00 – 7:00pm. 8th Grade parents are invited to an informal meet & greet with our Mag 7 Parent group representatives at 6:00 pm. The 8th Grade presentation begins at 6:30pm. Open House begins for all parents at 7:00pm. We look forward to seeing you there! Click HERE for more info.
- Today, begins National School Breakfast Week. Click HEREfor information! In order to help our students have a great start to their day, our Diamond Bar Food Services team will be providing Brahma breakfast “Grab & Go” food items at 7:15am – 7:45am in the front of school on Monday, March 2 through Friday, March 6, 2020. Special thanks to our Kitchen Supervisor, Yenny Ong, for helping get our day started right!
- In honor of National Breakfast Week, Nutrition Services will be offering 1 FREE breakfast per student on Thursday, 3/5 at the 5 secondary sites ONLY.
- Freshman Parents, Class of 2023 – Would you like to help raise money for your sons and daughters? Saturday, March 21 is the Class of 2023 Bingo fundraiser, and we need 10 parents to help. The Class of 2023 is responsible for providing parent volunteers for Bingo. By volunteering one night, the Class of 2023 can raise $1000.00! Please contact ClassAdvisor, MeganGwilliam, at email@example.com if you are a Class of 2023 parent who would like to volunteer for this bingo date. Thanks!
- Reminder! Tomorrow, Tuesday March 3 is LATE STARTschedule.
Brahma Athletic Highlights:
- Click HERE for our Weekly Athletics Update, provided by Athletic Director, Mr. Albert Lim.
ext Week’s (March 9 - Week 28) Highlights:
- Sunday, March 9 – Daylight Savings Time Begins
- Sunday, March 9 – Miss Diamond Bar Pageant
- Friday, March 13 – Doppleganger Festival.
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
- Reminder: Freshman Parents, Class of 2023 – Saturday, March 21 is the Class of 2023 Bingo fundraiser. Help the Class of 2023 raise $1000.00! Please contact Class Advisor, MeganGwilliam, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a Class of 2023 parent who would like to volunteer for this bingo date.
- All Brahma Parents, mark your calendar for Friday, March 27, 2020, 7pm – 11pm. At Embassy Suites in Brea, our Brahma Foundation will be hosting Casino Night! Special thanks to our Brahma Foundation President, Tom Jordan, for helping lead this important fundraiser for all students at DBHS. Click HERE for more information!
Reuben A. Jones, Ed.D