Class of 2021 Grade Level Coordinators
Mr. Kevin Patterson Mrs. Stephanie Duenas Mrs. Julie Salas
CLASS OF 2021 GLC NEWS AND NOTES
VOLUME 3 (JUNIOR YEAR) ISSUE #17-Last One For 11th Grade
June 1, 2020
Class of 2021 Students and Parents,
Our final GLC News And Notes Newsletter of our 11th grade year. Well, Class of 2021, you are officially SENIORS! Congratulations on navigating these recent rough waters and making it to your final year here at DBHS. We don’t know what the structure of our upcoming Senior year will look like just yet, but words to the wise when we are able to rejoin each other on campus: Treasure each moment, each class session, each brunch and lunch period, each passing period. Treasure seeing your friends, teachers and most of all appreciate what we have as we all learned it can be taken away in an instant.
Wrapping up some loose ends is the focus of this Newsletter so read on, read closely.
· TEXTBOOK RETURN: See the DBHS Webpage with Textbook Return Instructions/Dates. An email was sent on May 29th with this information. If you left a book(s) in your locker, ask the personnel collecting your textbooks what the best steps are for you to follow to return those books. (June 3-5) Summer School Textbook Pick-Up is also included in the email and on the Webpage posts. (June 1-2)
· WHAT ABOUT CHROMEBOOKS? At this time, we do not know what our plan is for the next school year. Students have the option to hold on to the Chromebook through the summer or turn it in when you turn in your textbooks next week during textbook collection. If you think you may need it in the fall, then keep the Chromebook for now.
· WHAT ABOUT YEARBOOKS? If you purchased a DBHS Yearbook, the latest information we have is that Yearbooks will not be delivered to DBHS until late July. Stay tuned, when we have more details, they will be shared with students and parents.
· WHAT ABOUT OUR GLC APPOINTMENTS? At this time, we are not sure of the exact format of our GLC Meetings with students and parents. We will learn more in the next few weeks and we will communicate this information with everyone. Keep your appointment date and time available as we hope to still have traditional Face-To-Face meetings. Stay Tuned…
· SUMMER SCHOOL: For the just concluded semester, if you earned a D+ or lower in a college-prep. course needed for university admissions and your plan is to apply to a 4-year university, you should attempt to add this course in summer school. Regardless of your college plans, if you earned an (F) in English or Modern American History, you should attempt to retake the course this summer as well. Keep in mind:
a. Many summer school classes are at capacity and will not open. If this is the case, your GLC will discuss this situation with you and parents at the July GLC meeting.
b. Summer School is 100% online this summer
c. English retakes are possible: Contact Mrs. Nicole Cabase @ firstname.lastname@example.org
d. Summer School Begins June 8, 2020
e. Additional Summer School Information is on the DBHS Webpage Summer School Link
f. Some tuition courses may still be available: Go to DBHS Webpage Summer School Link for the latest updates. Dedicated To Learning Tuition Courses Summer School Principal is Mr. Gabe Aguilar email@example.com
· SEMESTER 2 GRADES AND MEETING A PRE-REQUISITE FOR A SENIOR COURSE: If a student did not earn a high enough grade to meet the pre-requisite grade for a course requested for next school year, the student MUST contact his/her GLC and inform them. In most cases, a new senior course will need to be selected when a pre-requisite grade is not earned. Don’t delay with this as your GLC may be able to adjust your course requests before schedules are made.
Updates on SAT/Collegeboard
Collegeboard has announced that registration is now open for fall SAT Administrations.
· All students are able to register for the November or December test.
· Until Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm a PRIORITY Registration period is being offered for the August, September and October SAT test dates. Students who qualify for this Priority Registration are…
o Students who previously registered for June SAT or SAT Subject Tests and didn’t cancel their registrations.
o Students in the Class of 2021 without a Test Score
· Registration for August, September, and October Test Administrations will open for ALL students on Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
· For students who were registered for the June SAT or SAT Subject Test administrations only: Students can simply transfer their registration to any of the upcoming SAT dates. They won't be charged a change fee if they transfer their registration before July 31. When they log in to My SAT, they should select the option to change their registration. Then, they should follow the rest of the required steps until they get to the order confirmation.
· Upcoming SAT Dates:
o August 29, 2020
o September 26
o October 3
o November 7
o December 5 (SENIORS-Make sure universities you are considering will accept December scores)
ADDED LINKS/EMAIL ADDRESS FOR STUDENT AND PARENT SUPPORT
· NEED EMOTIONAL SUPPORT LINK-CLEARLY POSTED AT TOP OF DBHS WEBPAGE www.dbhs.org
LAST DGN-21 GOOD NEWS VIDEO IN THE SERIES
Class of 2021
Share Your Good News Stories
Email Your GLC Some Good News. It can simply be a description or a short video clip of "POSITIVE" things you are doing or events you are participating in etc.
CollegeWise WEBINAR PROGRAM FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
WVUSD/DBHS has made arrangements with CollegeWise an outside organization specializing in supporting students with their post-high school plans and path. Several FREE webinars are scheduled. Please check them out and if interested in any of the topics below, you must register in advance of the Webinar! Register using the following link:
· Testing (SAT/ACT/Subject Tests): Timelines and Approach
o Thursday, June 4 6:00-7:00 pm
· Character Counts: How Character Plays a Powerful Role in Selective College Admisions
o Saturday, June 13 10:00-11:00 am
· Changes for UC and CSU Admissions
o Tuesday, June 30 6:00-7:00 pm
WHAT IS NEW?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FEATURE ON CLASS OF 2021 WEBPAGE
Please check out the FAQ-Frequently Asked Questions link on both the Class of 2021 Webpage (Includes Specific Questions for Class of 2021) and also on the Guidance Home Page
COLLEGE AND CAREER VIDEO MESSAGE SERIES
Class of 2021 Students and Parents: Your Grade Level Coordinators will be presenting and publishing a Series of Video Messages regarding the College Admissions process. We will email these Video Messages to all Class of 2021 students and parents during this time period: May 22-June 9, 2020. After each Video Message is emailed to you, we will post the Video Message and accompanying Power Point Presentation or Documents on our Class of 2021 Webpage. The Video Messages will consist of the following topics:
Video Message #1: Post High School Options for Students
(Published May 24, 2020)
Video Message #2: Selecting Your College Major and Possible Career Path
(Published May 28, 2020)
Video Message #3: Your College List-Producing Your List of Potential College Destinations (Planned Publish Date-June 1, 2020)
Video Message #4: College Admissions Process and Platforms
(Planned Publish Date-June 5, 2020)
Video Message #5: The Letter of Recommendation Process-The Senior Profile Packet (Planned Publish Date-June 9, 2020)
VIRTUAL OFFICE HOURS
Mr. Patterson and Mrs. Duenas will conduct a few additional “Virtual Office Hours” with the focus being the College and Career Video Series we are publishing. We will be available to answer any questions about the College Process, Summer Plans for the College Process etc. The Zoom Link is on the Class of 2021 Webpage.
Scheduled Virtual Office Hours:
· Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:00-3:00 pm
· Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:00-3:00 pm
· Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:00-3:00 pm
PARENT VIRTUAL OFFICE HOUR SCHEDULED: We invite Class of 2021 Parents to join us for a 1-hour Virtual GLC Office Hour:
· Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:00-9:00 pm
Kevin R. Patterson Stephanie Duenas Julie Salas
Grade Level Coordinators – Class of 2021