Class of 2021 Grade Level Coordinators
Mr. Kevin Patterson & Mrs. Stephanie Duenas
CLASS OF 2021 GLC NEWS AND NOTES
VOLUME 2 (SOPHOMORES) ISSUE #1
August 17, 2018
Class of 2021 Students and Parents,
Here are a few items of interest for your review from your DBHS Class of 2021 Grade Level Coordinators:
- WELCOME BACK TO DBHS
Welcome to our 10th grade school year!
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:
DBHS opened last Monday, August 13th. Our principal, Dr. Reuben Jones addressed the entire student body at our Day 1 Assembly. Dr. Jones reviewed and emphasized this year’s goals and stressed the following: ACHIEVE, CREATE AND RESPECT. Dr. Jones will emphasize these goals throughout the school year including in his weekly newsletter.
- DUE PROCESS MEETING:
On Wednesday, August 15th, your GLCs Mr. Patterson and Mrs. Duenas spoke with each of our 635 sophomore students. During this presentation we expressed our expectations of our sophomore students. We are very proud of this class and for them to continue to be the “Best Class of Campus” they will need to continue living up to our expectations. The class is really a great group!
PLEASE REVIEW THE POWER POINT DUE PROCESS PRESENTATION! You can find the presentation on www.dbhs.org by going to the Class of 2021 page. Look for the presentation under our FILES titled: DUE PROCESS PRESENTATION SOPHOMORES 2018
- GLC Supervision Areas:
All of DBHS GLCs are out with our students during our morning break, Brunch, and at lunch supervising and watching our students. This is an ideal time for your student to seek us out and talk with us. Mrs. Duenas is assigned to the 300 Building area for the first 12 weeks and Mr. Patterson is our Floater so he will be all around campus. Any GLC on campus or our Guidance secretaries may access us via radio when asked by a student.
- SCHEDULE CHANGES:
Making a schedule change once school has started is a difficult task. Please make a request for schedule changes only if it meets the below situations. Schedule changes disrupt your learning process and are difficult for your GLC and your teachers!
We are here as your student’s advocate and we will make necessary adjustments to your schedule. These adjustments only include a very few situations.
We will adjust a student’s schedule if…
- There is a mistake in your schedule; we will do our best to correct the mistake immediately.
- You are adjusting from an Honors/AP course to a College-Prep course. This can be done for the first week or two.
- You make an Athletics team or another course you have to audition for-including teacher approval.
What adjustments we will not and cannot make…
- The order/sequence of your classes.
- Elective choices-We started this process back in March-5 months ago and we had a productive meeting with parents and students this summer. Give your elective a chance-it is your class.
- Teacher changes.
- STUDENT WVUSD EMAIL ADDRESS:
All DBHS students are assigned a Walnut Valley USD student email address. For example, the email will look like this: 6-digit Student ID email@example.com. Students should access this email account often. Some students may want to have email messages sent to their Student Email forwarded to their personal email address so they do not miss important email messages. Mr. Randy Thomas, DBHS Technology Director, will be able to assist your student if needed. firstname.lastname@example.org
- PARENT AND STUDENT PORTAL:
If you are new to the WVUSD, you may also register for the Student and Parent Portal. This will allow you to access student information such as attendance, grades etc. Directions on how to register for this Student and Parent Portal may be found on the DBHS website. Simply access www.dbhs.org and go to either the STUDENTS OR PARENTS pull-down menu and look for the Parent Portal File. Verification Codes may be received from Mr. Randy Thomas, Technology Director, email@example.com or Mrs. Mingie Han, Registrar, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Parent Portal and Student Portal are valuable tools to periodically monitor a student’s progress.
- DBHS WEPAGE AND CLASS OF 2021 WEBPAGE:
It is very important for your student to stay up-to-date with DBHS News.
- Sophomores should check the DBHS website’s Homepage www.dbhs.org daily. It only takes 5 minutes to review the announcements etc. Our school bulletin is only read to our student body once per week, during period 4 on Mondays. Information is posted to the website daily.
- Sophomores should check the Class of 2021 periodically as well. Once every week or so would be fine. Great source of support and information for our students.
We are very fortunate here at DBHS to have a very strong support system for students. Encourage your student to reach out for help when needed.
- Grade Level Coordinator-Your GLC wears many hats and one is as our student’s counselor.
- School Psychologists. Mrs. Woodward and Mrs. Lowe (Office #252 and #253) are tremendous sources of support.
- Intervention Counselor: Mrs. Lauren Osajima-Room 277
- Wellness Center-Room 254. Students may walk in for support from our Trained Peer Counseling staff.
- REMIND TEXT MESSAGE SYSTEM:
The Class of 2021 is utilizing a free Text-Message Remind system. We believe the majority of te class has enrolled in this program last year. The process is the same as 9th grade and you only have to register/enroll one time. If you have not completed this sign-up process, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW. Students and Parents are encouraged to sign up.
PLEASE JOIN OUR TEXT MESSAGE REMIND SYSTEM. THIS ALLOWS YOUR GLC TO SEND THE ENTIRE CLASS OF 2021 (STUDENTS AND PARENTS) TEXT MESSAGE REMINDERS THROUGHOUT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL CAREER. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS BELOW:
TEXT MESSAGE REMIND SYSTEM: TO JOIN USING YOUR CELL PHONE:
ENTER THIS NUMBER: 81010
TEXT THIS MESSAGE: @24gd92
- UPCOMING EVENTS:
- COLLEGE NIGHT
- Thursday, September 13, 2018
- DBHS Gymnasium
- 6:00-8:00 pm
- 50+ Universities will send representatives to visit with our students.
- This is a great event for your student shifting into a new gear as they think about what colleges will be good for them in 3 short years. It is a very informal, “open-house” format for students and parents to walk around and visit with college representatives. A student can do a great job in 30+ minutes or so on the 13th.
- Thursday, September 13, 2018
- MILITARY ACADEMY NIGHT
- COLLEGE NIGHT
Presented by the office of Representative Ed Royce. Very informative event for any student looking to continue their education after high school at one of our nation’s military academies.
PLEASE SEE INFORMATION FLYER ON THE CLASS OF 2021 WEBPAGE for more details.
- Wednesday, September 5, 2018
- 6:30 pm at the Buena Park City Hall Chamber Room
6650 Beach Blvd. Buena Park, CA 90622
- PLEASE RSVP;
- Questions: Contact Alison Martin at Alison.Martin@mail.house.gov