WEEK 7 – September 24 – September 28
Hello Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Week 7.
This week is full of college preparation and planning activities for our students. First, I would like to say thanks to our South Asian, Chinese American, Korean American, and Hispanic Parent Groups (SAPA, CAAP, KAPA, & HOPE) for sponsoring an "ACADEMIC NIGHT" with FLEX College Prep.
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2018
Time: 6:30 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
Location: Diamond Bar High School, Golden Horseshoe
Academic Night provides up-to-date insider information about the college admission process to help families plan and prepare successfully. Meet admission counselors who are alumni from YALE, UCLA, and, BERKELEY.
- Dan Kwon- Principal Counselor FLEX College Prep and UCB alumni
- Anjali V- Former UCLA Admissions Staff
- Ben Robbins- Master Counselor and YALE alumni
- An insider look into Private College Admissions
- An overview of UC Admissions by Anjali Vaswani
- Changing Focus by Colleges in the Admissions Process
- Changes in 2018 college admissions and an analysis of current trends data
FREE WORKSHOPS OFFERED AT ACADEMIC NIGHT
- SII- College and Major Assessment Test
Strong Interest Inventory will assess students' interests and dislikes to give us an idea of what majors and eventual career fields might be suitable for the student.
- Lexile High School Readiness Assessment Test in English and Math-8th/9th/10th Grades
- How to write a Standout Personal Essay - 11th/12th Grade
A great college essay communicates all the necessary information about you as a person. Learn what colleges are looking for and get help writing the essays that best showcase you to the college of your choice.
Under the supervision of FLEX essay specialist, students will:
- Learn what should and should not go in the essay
- Study a sample essay
- Brainstorm potential essay topics
- Find their unique writing voice for the UC or Common App. essays
*Please RSVP for this event by Tuesday September 25, 10:00 P.M. at
email@example.com or go to the following link
This Saturday, September 29, Diamond Bar Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will be hosting its 22nd Annual Mini Conference from 9:00 A.M. - 1:30 P.M. at Diamond Bar High School. There is no cost and all sessions are open to all underclassmen. We will have various workshops from a Shark Tank simulation to an Interview & Resume Writing workshop and keynote speaker. This is a great opportunity to learn more about FBLA and network with new people from other schools. Sign up with the link below!
This Week’s Activities, Updates, and Reminders:
- UC and CSU Application Workshops will take place on Wednesday, September 26. We will offer both workshops on the same night, and you will be able to attend both as each presenter will hold two sessions. The first presentation will begin at 6:30 pm and the second session will begin at 7:30 pm. The Cal State/CSU presenter will be stationed in the Golden Horseshoe and the UC presenter will be in the Theatre. Parents and students are welcome to attend both or only stay for one. This is a great opportunity to hear from representatives and have your questions answered.
- College Visits this Week…
- Wednesday, September 26: Colorado State University @ lunch in the Career Center.
- Thursday, September 27: Calvin College in the Career Center @ lunch.
- PSAT – If you have already signed up for the official PSAT/NMSQT happening on our campus on Saturday, October 13, please come by Guidance to pick up a College Board Student Guide. There is much information to help you prepare for the PSAT/NMSQT. Juniors taking this test are entered into the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program. If you are a JUNIOR (c/o 2020) and have not yet registered for this exam you may still do so by paying the $27.00 fee in the Finance Department (Main Office) by September 11.
- SAT Bootcamp at Diamond Bar High School
- Just $195 Per Student
-The SAT is a boring exam, but learning to ace it doesn't have to be. At Catalyst, we take the actual SAT every time it's given to gain insider knowledge of the exam, and we pass our expertise to students with patience, understanding, and a welcome sprinkling of humor and creativity.
-Catalyst’s two-day SAT Bootcamp arms students with go-to strategies for every question they’ll face on the day of the test so they can march into the SAT with confidence, momentum, and every key strategy fresh in their mind.
SAT Bootcamp at Diamond Bar High School
- Saturday, September 29, 9am - 1pm
- Sunday, September 30, 9am - 1pm
(Students attend all days.)
-Tuition is just $195. For more information on this special prep opportunity or to enroll, call 800.235.0056, sign up at https://catalystprep.com/bootcamp_su or emailinfo@CatalystPrep.com. The deadline to enroll in this special prep opportunity is Wednesday, September 26.
ACT Bootcamp at Diamond Bar High School
Just $195 Per Student
Catalyst's ACT Bootcamp is a confidence-boosting two-day seminar that teaches students strategies for every type of question they're guaranteed to encounter on the ACT. Selected topics include how to:
·Shortcut math questions that stump more than 90% of test-takers
·Highlight key information in seemingly confusing ACT Science passages
·Use a surefire template for the newly-revised ACT essay
·Crack the 10 types of English questions guaranteed to be on the ACT
Catalyst's ACT Bootcamp is not a mock test or an infomercial for our services. Students learn proven strategies from experts who earned perfect scores on the ACT. Participants receive 8 hours of instruction, Catalyst's 224-page ACT Bootcamp book, bonus online instruction, and personalized feedback.
ACT Bootcamp at Diamond Bar High School
Saturday, October 20, 9am - 1pm
Sunday, October 21, 9am - 1pm
(Students attend both days.)
Tuition is just $195. For more information on this special prep opportunity or to enroll, call 800.235.0056, sign up at https://catalystprep.com/bootcamp_su, or emailinfo@CatalystPrep.com. The deadline to enroll in this special prep opportunity is Wednesday, October 17.
Click HERE for all DBHS Athletic Events.
Reuben A. Jones
Diamond Bar High School