Hello Brahma Parents and Guardians,
Welcome back from Thanksgiving Break!
I hope everyone is feeling relaxed and rejuvenated to finish the 1stsemester. There are 3 ½ weeks left before the end of the fall semester.
This time of year there are many reasons to be thankful at Diamond Bar High, and I am especially grateful for our Mock Trial Coaches, math teachers Latitia Thomas & Margaret Ku. Their dedication and support for our DBHS Mock Trial Team is amazing! If you are not aware, we just finished the 3rd round of competition at the 41st Annual Los Angeles County Courthouse (Click HERE for more info) Mock Trial Competition. The competition began with 96 teams from Los Angeles County and we have two teams in the competition. The 2018 – 2019 Mock Trial Team are listed by grade level and alpha order below:
Jung-ho (Chris) Chang, Hamzah Daud, Austin Kim, Amelie Lee, Erin Li, Heidi Luo, Patrick Ma, Danny Mansour, Andrea Monzon, Rachel Sun, Yuwen Wang
Courtney Chan, Ryan Lou, Angela Medina, Sabrina Wu, Arella Yang
Cindy Chen, Emily Chen, Harris Daud, Aaron Hao, Phillip Ma, Crystal Tsao
Elise Kwon, Sharon Sun, Victoria Wang, Eileen Zu
I am excited to announce that both teams advanced in yesterday’s competition and moved on to the Quarter-finals match on Wednesday, November 28! Go Brahmas!
SENIORS: Click HERE to access the Senior Monthly Newsletter
- Seniors: Reminder…November 30 is the application deadline for both the UC and CSU system.
- Financial Aid Update: Seniors, Federal Student Aid Application (FAFSA) has a mobile app! Click HERE for more info.
- All Students: Click HERE to access the October 2018 GLC Quarterly.
If you are interested in joining our Track & Field team, tryouts are this week:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday during 6th period and after school.
- Sprints tryouts – Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday, 2:30-4:00 (mandatory to attend all three days)
- Hurdles tryouts – Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday, 3:30-4:30
- Throws tryouts – Tuesday & Wednesday, 2:00-3:15
- All student-athletes must be cleared in order to try out. There will not be pole vault or high jump tryouts.
- Click HERE for this week’s Athletic update from Athletic Director,Albert Lim.
First, for Seniors, the CSU Application Deadline has been extended. The previously published CSU Application deadline was Friday, November 30. Due to the fires in our State, the Fall 2019 CSU Applicaiton Deadline has been extended to December 15, 2018. Click HERE for details about the extension from the CSU Website. Please see our Senior GLCs, Mr. Rich Gonzales and Mrs. Sonja Burns, if you have any questions.
Second, this Friday, November 30, 2018 at 7pm in the DBHS Theatre, our Commercial Music Band will present WOMEN IN ROCK (see attached flyer). Special thanks to our Commercial Music Band teacher, Mr. Daryl Hernandez, for supporting our students. This show features songs from female artists, all female and female fronted bands. Come out and support our talented students!
In this section of my Principal’s Memo, you will find valuable resources and opportunities offered through our parent groups and community partnerships.
*Parents: Listed below are some tools for Parenting in the digital World. These workshops are offered free of charge.
- Earlier this year, our Grade Level Coordinators (GLCs) participated in one of Clay Cranford’s (Cyber Safety Cop) workshops on internet safety in our digital world. Listed below is a useful article about cell phones.http://cybersafetycop.com/Blog/Cyber-Safety-Cop/SoyouwanttogetyourkidanewPhoneforChristmasReadthisFirst?utm_campaign=Cyber%20Safety%20Cop&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter
Reuben A. Jones
Diamond Bar High School